Headquarters: Remote We're excited to add an Engineering Manager to our team! To learn more about Township and how we operate, head to our hiring homepage.
Why we're hiring
Township has let organic growth lead the way as we’ve carefully assembled our team over the years. As skills develop and new projects come along, we continuously reassess our lineup to ensure that we’re stacking our team with all the best strategic players so that we can thrive. That’s why we’re ready to hire again today. As roles have evolved and our project commitments have expanded, we find ourselves ready to bring in an additional leader to help guide our team and projects towards continued success.
Township is looking to add an Engineering Manager to our team. Most of our projects are built in an Elixir-centric stack, so interest and/or experience with those technologies is a plus. This position is best suited for someone who wants to join a team and grow into a management role (don’t worry if that role is new to you, we provide lots of training!) while still making ongoing, critical contributions to projects through code-writing.
As an engineer, this is a hands-on engineering role where you'll work with technical leadership and clients to implement business-critical applications, create new web applications, and design future architecture for fast-growing companies. You'll use your problem-solving and coding skills to drive the development of early-stage client projects while also contributing to architecture decisions.
As a manager, you will lead one of our growing engineering teams. Managers at Township are thoughtful, supportive, humble, and proactive. You will receive training to help you build skills that will allow your relationships with your direct reports to be empowering, following a clear path towards growth and success. You will support the continued growth and engagement of your team through consistent 1-1s, setting growth areas, and completing bi-annual performance reviews. Management vs. Individual Contributors (ICs) at Township
Managers and individual contributors are compensated the same, even though the roles and responsibilities are quite different. Traditional wisdom suggests that companies should promote their highest performers into management roles, regardless of their interest in or ability to be a manager. Township equalizes management and ICs in an effort to remove incentive from choosing one over the other. Both paths have a clear path set for them within Township, and contribute to the overall team success in important and unique ways.
-Township’s Transparent Compensation policyWhile we ask that you designate which career path you are pursuing at this level (manager or IC), please note that we compensate both roles equally at equal levels. If you are interested in pursuing an IC role at Township, you can find that job description here.
- You'll write clean, high-quality code in React or Elixir.
- You’re passionate about not only your own personal growth but the growth of those on your team. Improved code quality is only one of your measures of growth.
- You’ll guide a small, growing engineering team by helping form best practices, offering thoughtful code reviews, pairing, and offering technical mentorship.
- You’ll build skills as a manager by participating in ongoing training (our favorite is BlueprintX).
- You’ll design, build, and maintain performant and reliable applications for web and native devices that are consistently high quality, tested, and production-ready.
- You’ll coordinate with peers to steward abstract business requirements through the discovery process to actual development and deployment.
- You’ll play a key role in architectural and software design decisions.
- Your most impactful contribution to sprint planning is weighing in on all aspects of feature planning, from discovery to execution and testing.
- You cultivate an environment of healthy communication, support, and collaboration.
Desired skills Note: We view this section as a guide, not a checklist. We encourage you to apply even if you don't satisfy every single bullet on the list! Most qualified applicants will have 6-8 years of experience and have worked successfully on a remote team before.
- Expert knowledge of current front-end technologies including React, Typescript, and tools like NextJS.
- Experience with Elixir and Phoenix or a strong background in another language and framework.
- Experience building accessible, always-responsive user interfaces.
- An understanding of SQL and relational database design.
- An understanding of modern DevOps, including GitHub driven automation, Hashicorp tools like Terraform and deployment to cloud platforms like AWS, Heroku and Fly.
- Experience managing a team, utilizing skills such as providing feedback in a 1-1 setting, coaching, mentoring, and sponsoring others.
- Ability to coordinate team efforts cross-departmentally in order to provide direct reports with clarity of responsibilities and priorities.
Salary and benefits
The starting annual salary
for this position is $140,317.
You can learn more about our Transparent Compensation plan here.
As for benefits
, we offer many. Here are just a few:
- A variety of paid time off options, including 20 paid vacation days, 10 paid sick and mental health days, and 12-14 paid holidays. We also offer paid leave for things like bereavement, jury duty, and voting.
- Twelve weeks of paid parental leave and up to 12 additional weeks of unpaid parental leave.
- Three medical healthcare plans to choose from with FSA and HSA options, as well as full dental and vision coverage.
- Employer-matched 401k or 401k Roth up to 5%.
- $350 monthly stipend towards workplace and wellness expenses.
- And a lot more. For a full overview of our benefits, head to our summary here.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/township-engineering-manager