Headquarters: Fully Remote
We started Chameleon after being frustrated at poor user onboarding, and feeling required to speak with sales before we could start using new products.
As engineers, we want to solve the hardest problems and apply our creativity to design beautiful software. It's tedious to build and maintain tooltips, or banners, so we built Chameleon to let the product people handle that independently, while letting engineers focus on the core value proposition a product provides.
This approach has resonated and we now have a great product, happy customers, and traction.
We are looking for a Ruby on Rails engineer
who thrives in a startup environment, is passionate about building great software, and enjoys a wide variety of problems.
Why we want to hire this role now
Chameleon is a layer between our customers' web applications and their users; this means that the software we build is for our thousands of customers and their millions of end-users.
As we gain more customers and they ask our software to handle an increasing amount work we have to continue to improve all aspects of Chameleon. The way web apps are built is changing rapidly; UX patterns are getting smarter; organizations are embracing the product-led movement and good onboarding is a differentiator.
- We still have a lot more building to better enable software around the world, as it becomes more self-serve
- Better handle the scale and volume of data we receive
- Continue to improve on-page performance while adding more complexity
- Enhance the functionality and UX of the existing product to make it more accessible to brand-new customers and non-technical users
- Build out brand new products that help our customers more successfully engage their users
- Build workflows to support larger teams (e.g. roles/permissions) and more usage (a team having hundreds of "campaigns" within Chameleon)
You will be a key member of our engineering team, and enable us to improve our product velocity. This includes enhancing the underlying architecture to support growth, while collaborating with the wider team to more quickly deliver front-end functionality.
What you will do specifically
You will be working primarily in Rails
backend applications that directly handle 100+ million requests per day.
Key activities we expect you to be doing include:
- Create external and internal APIs (docs here)
- Build and maintain data import/manipulation pipelines
- Analyze data to make better predictions, create alerts for key flows
- Work to maintain our 99.99% uptime
- Write testable well documented code
- Pull and pull data to adjacent tools (analytics providers, data warehouse)
- Keep our platform secure and reliable
Skills and experience that will aid success in this role
- 2+ years working as a backend or full-stack engineer in Rails
- 2+ years of startup experience in full-time remote work
- Fluency with our stack: Rails, MongoDB, Redis, Sidekiq
- Experience writing tests first (RSpec etc.)
- Independent and self-motivated mindset; proactive in finding solutions while able to structure your own work
- You have a fully functioning workspace and a quiet place to focus (and take calls) with a high-speed internet connection (you’ll have budget for additions to your home office setup)
- You are in an Americas or European timezone (i.e. based in etc.)
- This is your full-time job (no other part-time roles)
- Fluency (written and verbal) in English
Find out more about our product, team, culture, vision, and benefits in our jobs page: Work with us at Chameleon Chameleons are all different and uniquely beautiful. They change and aren't required to associate or identify with any specific labels. We welcome the chance to get to know you and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team that consists of a variety of backgrounds, cultures, languages, experiences, preferences, and characteristics. That's what helps us all grow and evolve.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/chameleon-rails-engineer-1